Thursday, February 15, 2007

Every new mother needs one of these!

I will admit to buying a few frivolous baby items since becoming a mother. Really, a lot of the stuff out there is not exactly *necessary* for the survival of baby or mother, though I might have argued with you when Anna would ONLY sleep in the swing!

But there are some items that are so over the top that it's hard to believe that anyone actually buys them. Case in point: I like to browse the Houston Craigslist site for gently used baby items. Sometimes you can find great deals on items that are not necessarily *needs* but are really nice to have. But imagine my surprise when I found a pink Baby Dior pacifier with protective case and Christian Dior gift bag.

The price was a bargain at...are you ready for this?...$35! Yes, that's thirty-five dollars. For a pacifier. Now, I will ignore for a moment that Anna hated pacifiers, so spending $3.50 (never mind $35) on one was a little obscene for us. But what usually happened to pacifiers in our house (and bottle nipples, and anything else made of silicone, for that matter) is that our cats sought them out and gnawed off the tips. It was like they had nipple radar. The could get into locked cabinets that contained bottle nipples and pacifiers, and they would decapitate every single one of them. We even found a portion of a pacifier in the litter box once.

So I give to you the $35 cat toy. Behold the Baby Dior pacifier -- just the gift for the truly spoiled princess in your life.



Okay, I'm editing to add a link to an article I found when I was trying to find the actual retail price of the Dior pacifier (which is around $40, for anyone interested): http://www.azcentral.com/families/articles/0323kidbling0323.html

Apparently, there is a growing trend among "middle class parents" to buy obscenely expensive baby gear/clothing. I suppose I should trade in my $90 Baby Bjorn (I almost had a heart attack paying $90 for a glorified Snugli, but I will now admit it was well worth the price) for the $790 Gucci carrier. And I'll definitely need a $1240 Louis Vuitton diaper bag and a $900 Bugaboo stroller. That's not even to mention the $395 Marc Jacobs hoodie and the $145 Kate Spade blanket. I clearly need to read up on baby couture before this one gets here, lest I make the mistake of dressing the poor kid in apparently-declasse Polo or Burberry clothes.

No comments: